I am getting asked by everyone what I am doing that is making my weightloss so successful, so I thought I would take a few minutes to share. I am learning new things all the time, but so far this is what I am doing to lose weight.
1. I have completely cut out sugary and carbonated drinks. I primarily drink coffee (without sugar added, just creamer) and water. I have purchased some crystal light water flavor packets for those times when I would like something different, but I dont drink that everyday. I am not a fan of artificial sugar, so this is just as a last resort, and even when I use it, I use 1 packet with a gallon of water. (packet is for 2 qt so this is 1/2 watered down)
2. I have increased my cardio to 3- 5 days a week. My goal is M-F, however with appointments, kids school activities, and other things that come up, its hard to make it all 5 days, however 3 is the minimum. I am NOT weight training, or doing anything else at the gym, just 30 minutes on the Weight Loss setting on my favorite cardio machine and then I go home.
3. I have increased my protein. Dr. Oz recommends eating protein within the first 30 minutes of being awake. Sometimes I drink a protein shake, sometimes not. I have made myself a high fiber high protein breakfast borrito that I make in advance with turkey bacon, eggs, cheese, and spinach and herb tortillas and put in the freezer for a grab & go quick breakfast.
4. I have decreased my protion size. Even when eating out! I am trying to pay close attention to serving sizes and just knowing when my body is full. When I eat out, I have been trying to order smaller portions, or getting a to go box as soon as my food arrives to take half my meal home. This has been working better than I thought it would. After the first couple of weeks, the smaller portion size is sufficient. You have to train your body to the new changes, and this is one that takes time.
5. I have started eating every 3 hours. Even if its just a small snack, a piece of fruit or a yogurt cup. Dr. Oz explains it like this. When we get up we have to light our fire. This should happen within the first 30 minutes and is kind of like a gas grill on high. If you light your fire with protein, the flame will burn higher. It takes about 3 hours for that flame to die down so you have to keep that flame going because if it goes out its very hard to restart it. That flame is your metabolism. If you keep the flame going by eating every 3 hours, your metabolism will work FOR you all day long.
6. I have also increased my fiber. This is amazing, because the more fiber you eat the more wiggle room you have with fat or calories.
7. I have been very mindful of sodium in my diet. Did you know that 1 pickle has enough sodium to make you retain 1 lb of water in your belly???? I learned that from a friend and it really opened my eyes to the effects of sodium. I have also found a quick easy way to reverse the effects of sodium in your diet. POTASSIUM! Thats right, if you eat a pickle, eat a banana afterwards, it will counteract the sodium, and you will be ok. So I have lots of bananas & kiwi in my diet now, adn I see a difference when I eat a meal high in sodium and eat potassium, and when I dont eat it. Remember the sodium is temporary and the water will eventually leave your body, however if you have a high sodium diet, its hard to see results on the scale because of waterweight!
8. I have completely cut out sugary junk food. I am a snacker. I love cookies, cakes, chips and dip, chocolate, etc. I am a junk food junkie. Well...I was. I found a quote on pinterest that says "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" and that is so true! I have found a few alternatives for my craving fixes, however they are only as a last resort. I have found some "snack size chocolate popsicles" by WEight Watchers. They are perfect for that quick fix and only 2 WW points. No Im not doing weight watchers, but I know they are safe. I also have sugar free jello & pudding that is helpful. Yogurt seems to curve that sweet tooth, and Yoplait has a wonderful low fat yogurt that is my favorite. I like the Boston Cream Pie flavor. I also have bought some 5 cal hard candy to suck on and lots and lots of sugar free gum. These are very helpful in helping me retrain my body to not crave the sugar.
9. I have surrounded myself with a huge support team. I have many people in my life that are extremely encouraging and motivating. They not only hold me accountable, but they help me stay focussed. I text them often to share my progress and my struggles, and find that they keep my eye on the prize. People who have known what losing weight looks and feels like and knows the struggles I am going through.
10. I have kept my eyes on Christ. I do not in my own strength have the ability to do this on my own. God is so gracious and wonderful, and doesnt want me to be fat & unhealthy. The more I have turned to him, the more focused I have stayed. I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13 There are 2 other passages I would like to share: 1. 1 Corinthians 10 12-13 If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different than what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptations to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
2. James 1 13-15 Do not say God is tempting me, God is never tempted to do wrong and he will tever tempt anyone else. Temptations come from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions, and when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.
I realized that food is my temptation. My eating has been dangerous to my body and has made me tired, lazy, and not the wife and mother God has created me to be. I realized that this is not my failure, it is satens win over me. That is a power struggle not betwen me and food but between Satan and God, and My God ALWAYS wins! So im turning to God and will win this battle. Keeping that my focus has made me very successful.
I am continuously learning and growing and the more I learn and grow the more I lose. I have a marble jar with LBS To Go and LBS lost and since I am so visual, its very helpful to me.
I hope that what I am doing and my journey can help someone else on their journey to become a healthier person!!!!!